Author: Kiran Jethwa
- For the Tuna Loin :
- 800g Dog Tooth Tuna or King Mackerel Loin
- 100g Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp. Crushed Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- Cling Film
- 1 Bunch Fresh Coriander to Garnish.
- For the Tuna Belly Mousse :
- 1 White Onion
- 200g Butter
- 8 Cloves Garlic
- 200gms of Dog Tooth Tuna Belly or King Mackerel Belly
- For the Crunchy Topping:
- 1 Fresh Coconut – Roughly Grated
- 2 Cloves Garlic – Finely Sliced
- 1 Large Bulb Ginger – Grated
- For The Tom Yum Sauce:
- 1 Lemon Grass Stalk – Finely Sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- ½ tbsp. Tom Yum Paste
- 1 tsp. Chopped Ginger
- 4 tsp. Cooking Oil
- 1 Tin Coconut Cream
- For the Tuna Loin: Place the sesame seeds, black pepper and salt into a large mixing bowl and combine. Then pour out into a roasting dish.
- Then roll the whole tuna loin into this mixture, ensuring it picks up all of the seeds and spices. Then wrap it with some cling film gently so it has a beautiful coating of sesame seeds.
- When you are ready to cook, with the cling film still on, portion the tuna loin into 200g medallions. Remove the cling film so each piece is beautifully coated in the crust.
- For the crunchy topping:Fry the finely sliced garlic, grated ginger and grated fresh coconut Separately till each is brown and crispy, They cook at different rates so keep a keen eye on them.
- Then combine them together and season to taste.
- For the Tom Yum sauce:To a saucepan add the Tom Yum paste, garlic, ginger, and lemon grass with 2 tbsp. of the oil used to fry the coconut.
- Then cook this on a high heat for 2 minutes to release the aromas of the spices. Now add the coconut cream and cook down for 10 minutes.
- For the tuna belly mousse:Finely chop the white onions and garlic, then, in a hot pan, melt enough butter to submerge these completely and cook them gently until they are caramelised.
- Thoroughly chop the tuna belly meat and add it to the now caramelized mixture. Cover, and let it cook down for 10 minutes
- Once cooked, place in a food processor and Blitz until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally sear the tuna loin portions in hot oil until the sesame seeds brown. Ensure you have a nice brown crust on the outside and a medium rare centre.
- To serve: Start with a base of tom yum sauce. Next, a sprinkle of fresh coriander leaves followed by the lovely seared tuna. A spoonful of the creamy mousse over the top and finally the crispy coconut, ginger and garlic topping.